Monday, April 13, 2009

Hulu Commercial

During the Super Bowl, Hulu broadcasted a commercial with Alec Baldwin advertising its' product, a website that let's you watch popular TV shows for free. Alec says that this website is actually a means to soften the human population's brains in order for aliens to be able to eat them. Using satire and other rhetorical devices, they were able to create a funny and eye catching commercial.

One of the main repetitions that the writers used in the ad was constantly asserting TV's power to soften you're brain. This is an interesting repetition because it implies that it's target audience (mainly people between the ages of 15-30) is losing it's intellectual ability through watching television shows, something that will be furthered by going to the website. This is a very satirical and humorous take on the effects of television, and introduces this relatively new product to a large scale audience in a causal way. Humor and satire make the ad more effective, and I would say the ad is effective because I have personally been to the website multiple times since seeing it.

It was interesting having to apply rhetorical strategies to a medium other than text, but for the most part it wasn't much different. It was easy to notice the main ideas and rhetorical strategies of the piece and properly analyze them.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on the age group they were aiming at AND how they used satire all throughout the commercial. I mentioned the sammme things in my blog .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you pointed out the brain turning into mush for younger audiences. I thought you did a great job analyzing it overall.

    ReplyDelete